Perhaps I am just looking through rose-tinted virtual glasses or am just naive due to inexperience, but the more I learn about the Open Educational Resources the more I stand in awe of the potential that bringing free accessible education to anyone, anywhere has for our world. The web can be wall-less, political and country-less -- but do we have what it takes to sustain that type of freedom and openness? Also, are we giving our children and students to tools of critical thinking and discernment needed to successfully find and use what is of quality and discard what is not?
http://blog.worldcampus.psu.edu/index.php/2008/03/01/in-doing-oer/
The conversations on Ken Udas' blog at the Penn State World Campus is an interesting place to sit and listen and learn from the people tackling these and other questions about OER.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Many good points here. I can remember sitting in my art history class hearing my prof. says that there was nothing really new in the world. And I believe OER is making his point over again. I applaud theinnovators who are not affraid of letting it all hang out. What are we affraid of? Students learning! Education is more tham reems of information to be read. It is about interaction of teachers and students together, minds turning, thinking and exploring. I am not going to learn in a vacumn, I need to hear others process as I process to see the differances.
Post a Comment